Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, February 16, 2009

Gifts from Scrap Clay

<
This past year, I learned from the Make Mine Pink ladies that presentation and the little extras that you give customers were almost as important as the bought item itself. So for awhile, I bought little things to add to my packages.

I decided this year though to be more frugal and green. So I looked at the big tub of scrap clay and thought about what simple things I could do with it to make little gifts for my customers. I came up with simple shapes (hearts, dog bones, leaves, stars) from the marbled scrap clay, put magnets on the back of them and personalized them. Some came out prettier than others. It's a timely process. You have to condition the clay enough to get it smooth and flat, but not so much that it looks like mud. So after a few pass throughs threw the pasta machine, it's back to the scrap pile.

Below are some of the magnets I came up with:

11 comments:

Carolee Crafts said...

Cathy what a brilliant idea, wonder what I can use all my scraps of fabric for? Thank you for sharing

lisa said...

Cathy

What a wonderful idea!

Lisa

Susan said...

Cute...in the glass world...also enamelware in earlier days...this would be called "End of the Day" creations...leftovers would be gathered up to create something new!
Susan *dutchrose*

Marie said...

Hi Cathy,
they are all so cute and colorful
Marie

Patricia said...

That is such a green and clever idea. Waste not, want not -right? They did come out really cute and a personalized give away is a really nice touch.
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Beloved Creations said...

Those are so cute!

Susie said...

Hi Cath! I liked your idea of going green using your scrap clay.
Superb!
Susie of The Polka Dot Rose

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Fantastic idea my friend! Amazing what leftovers can become.
Love them!
bunny hugs,
shell

Tedi said...

Cath, I had no idea you had your finger in so many pies! What a wonder you are... but, my fav is the doggies. It's nice that you are a voice for them - they need you.
Thank you,
Tedi
www.PetiteBookstore.com/blog

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Cathy,

That is a wonderful idea!

Have a great week ahead!

Pei Li

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Now that is thinkin' ! I am so happy you are doing so well. I miss you.


(())